SOTM Ch. 18 Teaser

Darkniciad

Too long in coming, I know. Here's the teaser for the next chapter, as I'm nearly finished with it and ready to send it off for editing

===================

As the images of Danica and Marlena hovering over the table faded, Celes clapped her hands, rubbed them together, and turned to her sister witches.

"Shall we give this a try?" She nodded toward the mirror sitting on a nearby table. One of the first half dozen completed, it would serve to test the magic of the items. The mirrors were scattered in order to test their capabilities. One remained on Darkni’s isle with the master wizard. Danica’s sister Devan had another within her tower in Egoria. Ashtar had plans to take one to Blackhawk Hall. Celes had used the mists to deliver the remaining pair to Evelyn and another witch from a coven nearby.

Everyone gathered around, and Celes touched the tiger’s eye gemstone in the lower part of the frame to activate the magic. The mirrors harmonized with those who possessed them, so a thought was all that was necessary to direct the enchantment.

"Evelyn, can you hear me?"

An image of the short-haired witch formed in the mirror. She was smiling, and replied, "Perfectly."

The image expanded, revealing the blonde witch from Evelyn’s neighboring coven. "I can see and hear you as well."

Evelyn shook her head and chuckled. "I hadn’t really even thought about Veronica yet."

"The magic is fairly sensitive," Celes explained. "The mirrors should sense anxiety as well, and open channels to us, Darkni, and Devan."

"Speak of the devil," The newly congealed image of Devan interjected.

"I figure these things will get more than their fair share of that, Dearie," Celes said to Danica’s fire-topped sister.

Darkniciad’s voice rang out as the image of the silver-bearded wizard joined the rest. "Splendid. Splendid. Everything appears to be as expected."

"Mine’s working fine, even though I’m walking around outside with it," Evelyn said.

Darkniciad said, "We’ll return to our work on the primary mirror immediately. Once the rift enchantment is complete upon it, it will connect to all the others, granting them the magic."

"I don’t know how to thank you – any of you," Evelyn said.

"No need. I will return to my work." Darkni bowed his head, and vanished from the mirror.

"Same goes for us, Dearie," Celes said.

"And we have a lot of potions to make," Evelyn agreed.

"Here’s to hoping we don’t need these any time soon," Celes finished, and winked before touching the gem a final time.

From its perch in a tree some miles away, the Jihark watched Evelyn walk back into her new residence and let out a hiss of satisfaction.

It’s former prey might very well serve as bait to lure its new prey.

• Like 1