Sisters of the Mists

TALLMAN

I have a couple thousand words of the next chapter written, but I keep stalling every time I open it.

Just checked, and it's 2019 words exactly.  That's after umpteen revisions, cuts, and rewrites.  I probably have three times that much saved in cut-scene files, and five times that much completely abandoned with backspacing.

Looking at where I left off is almost making my fingers itch, but not quite.  I'm on a important scene with Meckataur, which leads into a important scene with Danica and Marlena, and one with Celes, Andrea, and Ashley, and one with Zoraster and Ebonar...

I'm at a critical juncture, and It just doesn't want to come out right.

This is the first time I've looked at it in a while, because obsessing on it only makes it worse.  I'm slowly beginning to realize that, though every time I have a spurt of creativity and hit a wall, I end up fighting it -- at least for a little while.

It will never be abandoned, so long as I'm breathing and can get words into the computer somehow.  I started writing it for my wife, and she'd hate me not finishing it.

• Like 1

The Original Danica story was one of the first I ever read at Literotica way back in 2007 when I first joined the site. I've been a fan ever since. I may not have as much invested in your story as you do but I feel it is worth the wait, I would rather have a quality story opposed to a quickly done story. I will wait as long as needed and will read the story to it's conclusion when you can finish it. 

I really want to thank you for all the enjoyable hours of reading. I've read the story 4 times now just to keep it fresh in my mind. It is one of, if not the greatest story on Literotica. Keep up the good work.

• 2 years later...

No promises, because gods know I've had nothing but struggles with the story since '08, but there is a little progress here.

First, I went to look up something as a reference for a topic on the Lit forums, and in the process of trying to find it, ended up getting caught up in the last 4 or so chapters of Danica, followed by all of the posted chapters of SOTM.  Lots of memory refreshing there.  Not to mention that I got sucked into the story again.

Then, tonight, I opened it up for the first time in a long time.  The very first scene in Ch. 19 is the one I've been fighting the hardest all this time.  It never felt right.

I think I may have it now.  I'll look back at it over the next couple of days and make sure I'm still happy with it, but this is the most satisfied I've been with the scene since I first typed the original version years ago.

The second scene I've been happy with since I typed it around the time Ch. 18 posted.

The third scene I was struggling with, but looking at it now, I think it may have been as much frustration with that first scene as anything else.  I tweaked a couple of things here and there, and I'm satisfied with where I am.

The scene isn't complete, though.  I need to go back through and double check some timing of things I sprinkled through the last few chapters.  Zoraster always has several irons in the fire for contingencies, and it's been so long that I don't remember which one is ready to poke the beast that's trying to arise off schedule here.

I know the scenes I'm looking for, but I can't remember them in the detail I need.  I also can't remember which chapter they're in, so I'm going to have to go skim through the last few chapters.  Fortunately, all the elements I need are in Zoraster/Ebonar scenes, so they're a little easier to pluck out than they might have otherwise been.

This scene is fairly critical, so I feel like I need to finish it before moving on.  However, if it gives me fits, I think I might go ahead and write the next Danica and Marlena scene, which has been fairly clear to me for a long time now.  Maybe that will give me some momentum.

Anyway, I'm off to skim and research.  I've had a couple of questions about the status of the series recently, so I thought I'd post this since there's actually something to report -- small as it is.

EDIT/UPDATE:

Found it.  Wasn't even as difficult as I thought it would be.  When I first read through it, I wasn't thinking about a period of passed time that was around it.  There's a "Danica and everyone did this for a while" in there that had me thrown off.  The plot point I need is there, and ready to spring.

Probably too tired to write anything tonight, but I have all the elements I need to continue when I'm more awake.  Maybe tomorrow after I've finished up the weekly chores I kept putting off because I was on vacation :P

I put words on paper tonight.  Not many, because it was a long day at work, but I managed to get a few lines in on that Meckataur scene.

I'm also happy with them :)

Many more to come when I have time.  I left almost as many notes at the bottom of the document as I wrote in actual prose.  I've been running this scene through my head all day at work, tweaking it, and I'll continue to do so tomorrow.

Still not promising anything, but it's the most progress I've had in years.

The Meckataur scene is done.  I may go back and expand it with a bit more description later, but the framework is there, and I'm quite happy with it.  It leads perfectly into the next scene, which leads into the next.  A shift to daylight is all it takes to start the next series with Danica and Marlena, Celes and the girls, Andrea...  So on and so forth.

It may take a little while, but this chapter is on a clearer path than it's been for years.

Forward :)

Getting ready to do a little writing before I go to bed.  Had a full day with a couple of unexpected things pop up, so I didn't get to use the day to write as I'd hoped.  I did manage to get the two finished stories through my first pass edit, though.

I needed to double check some of Celes' recounting of her history before going beyond the second story in the quartet.  Went and pulled it out of the Danica chapters and realized I had a problem.  The rape that cemented her sexuality needs to happen between the second and third chapters of the quartet, otherwise, I have a continuity error in there.

It's way too dark to make the quartet a quintet, and it will probably be longer than those stories as well, so it will be its own thing with only a little mention of the story in the third and fourth parts of the quartet.

Still need to double check to make sure I didn't use the name of Celes' lover at any point in Danica or SOTM before I release any of the shorts in the quartet.  I'm fairly certain I didn't, but I'll look it up at some point before posting.  This is here as much as a note to myself as anything.

Anyway, off to that scene I've been working on, for however long I can visualize without nodding off LOL

EDIT: Double checked the chapters, and her name is never mentioned, so I'm safe with the one I've given her in the stories I've been writing LOL

Finished that scene last night.  It will need a little cleaning up and embellishment because I was a little tired when I wrote it, but it's solid.

It also gives me the chapter image that I'll use to advertise it on Lit eventually.

http://www.darkniciad.com/covers/minis/sotm_19_thum.jpg

Finished that cleaning up and embellishment.  Also went back and double-checked the last couple of chapters for some bits and pieces.  Ended up having to change "Pendant" in the new chapter to "Locket" when I realized that I'd misremembered what I called it.

If you looked at the shoutbox, you know that I also finished the first draft of that second story in the Celes Quartet.  Tinkered with an RR story as well, but it hit a point where I'm trying to figure out the transition to the sex, and it wasn't coming to me.

Trying to think of what the next scene should be.  One I know is Danica and Marlena, but I feel as if I need a bit more of a transition from the scene I just wrote.  I have threads with Andrea, Camilla, and C'seka that need to be looped into the weave soon, so any of those might be the right place.

If nothing comes to me when I sit down to write tomorrow, I'll just jump ahead to the Danica and Marlena scene, leaving a double scene break in there as a placeholder.

Brainstorm!

I was pondering what that transition scene between the one I just finished and the Danica scene should be when I had a flash of inspiration.  There are two characters whose threads I need to weave, and I found a way to kill two birds with one stone :D

So no more problem with the transition.  I have this scene and the Danica scene both pretty much fully mapped out in my head.  I'm guessing that will put the chapter easily up to the 3/4 mark of my standard 10k word SOTM chapter length.

Just have to find time to write it :P

Been a long work week.

I wrote a few paragraphs of that new scene, but that's all I've had time for with all the hours I've been working.  Planning to jump back into it tomorrow, because about all I've done during those work hours is narrow down the focus to the point of word-for-word in the earlier parts of the scene LOL

The "about" part is that I've been thinking ahead in the story as well.  Getting general threads about how I want to get to the endgame.  There were a couple of things in the writing of the Meckataur scene and the one I'm starting now that cleared up muddy waters where I was floundering.  That's probably a big part of what had me stalled.  I need to know where I'm going to write where I am.

At the very least, I've shed a little light on that path :)

Another scene finished, and the chapter is closing in on 6k words.  That's over half the average chapter length, and three times where it's sat stalled for years now.

Next scene is Danica and Marlena, and well-mapped in my head.  The young one is awake now, so I'll see when I can get back to it later today.

6800 words as the meat of that Danica scene gets ready to hit.  The Emperor is riding up to the village now.

If I can get a few shorter days at work, I might be able to finish this chapter in a couple of weeks.  Or, if I can have a Friday that doesn't turn hectic with other things that need to be done.

Regardless, I'm probably going to wait until I have at least Chapter 20 almost done before releasing 19.  Just putting out one chapter without at least one more almost ready feels like a nasty tease.

Another scene done, and it took me almost exactly to where I predicted it would.  I'm barely shy of 7500 words, which is 3/4 of the way through a standard chapter length.

Time to figure out what thread I want to weave in next, and then figure out how I want to end the chapter, because I'm closing in on my standard wordcount.

Unexpected day off because I woke up to a dead battery this morning, and it took me until nearly noon to get a jump to even get it to the shop.  Took advantage of the lag to write on SOTM.  I'm a good distance into the next scene, and up to 8k words.

Probably try to get a little more done before the day is over.

Had a bit of a hiccup trying to finish the scene I was working on, so I skipped ahead.  I figured out the scene I wanted this chapter to end on at work the other day, so I went ahead and wrote it.

As I was writing it, I got a flash of inspiration about that scene that had been vexing me, so I'm off to see if I can finish that before the young one wakes up. :)

And, that scene that had been confounding me is done.  The inspiration I had was the perfect thing to transition out of the scene, which was where my problem was.

Should only be one more Danica and Marlena scene left in this chapter.  It's at around 9k words now, so that scene should round it out in the vicinity of my average chapter length.

Got a little of that scene written today, but the young one hasn't exactly been cooperative.  I can't even hear myself think when he's wound up like this.  Considering how late it is, I don't anticipate getting any more done today.

So, I guess I know what I'll be musing my way through at work during the mindless, menial labor parts of the day.  Need to flesh out that first scene of Ch. 20 as well.  I know generally what it is, but there are some finer points I need to work out.  That will also likely involve fleshing out some other elements of my world to a small degree.

Hard to explain, but that will all make sense when you see it LOL

Then it will be a matter of deciding whether I'm going to visit with Danica and Marlena, or Andrea and Turner.  I'm pretty sure one of those is going to be scene 2.  Considering how Danica & Marlena heavy the last couple of chapters have been, I'm leaning toward Andrea.  Then pull in some other threads that haven't been tugged lately.  A little of the bad guys.  The sisters at work in the lab.  The Jihark plotting and stirring up trouble.

Basically, try to restore the balance before I jump back into Danica and Marlena.  Then there's going to come a point where it's heavy on another element for a chapter or two, because a big confrontation is brewing.

I'm slowly edging closer to tying in a story I wrote long, long ago that I've always planned to cross over with SOTM, too.  I've even figured out the character who's going to be an instrument in that cross-over.  I fleshed him out in the current chapter.  Earth and Mine, just to leave myself a note of reminder. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a slow week for writing, but I have finished the second scene of Ch. 20.  The chapter is up to a little over a thousand words now.  Found a decent transition into the next Danica & Marlena scene as well.  I had originally planned to try to focus more on others, but the way things are working out, I think this chapter will probably be heavy on Danica & Marlena yet again.  There's just a lot going on with them.  There still should be quite a bit with the other sisters, but the next huge plot element for them just needs more story time to come to fruition.