First spammer

Darkniciad

It's been half a dozen per day on the forum and about the same number on the blog ever since Lowborn started posting.  They seem to be getting frustrated on the blog.  Not even trying to post any more - just attempting to register.  The few that get through are usually unverified ( fake emails ) and thus will self-delete in a week or so.  Within a couple of days, they usually appear in the spam database and I nuke them.  Same holds true for the ones that manage to verify.

All that work for 3 posts that made it to the public eye for brief periods the whole time.

Spammers, you have dishonored yourselves, your families, and your ancestors.  Do the honorable thing :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Had three spammers make it through the first layer of protection recently.

Then they got nabbed by the second and auto-banned *laugh*

Even if they'd managed to get through that one, they were unverified ( most likely because the email addys are fake ) and thus would have no posting privileges anyway.

And, I typically check the database on questionable registrations a few days afterwards, anyway.  Most often, they've showed up in the database by then, and I know I can safely delete them with extreme prejudice.

I can't even imagine what the onslaught must be like for a big site.

• 3 months later...

The new version of the stop spammers app has a lot of logging attached.  If you look down at the bottom of the forum at the statistics, you can see one of them - a running tally of spammers blocked by the app since the new version was installed on Dec. 02.

Currently, it's at a little less than 8 per day.  That doesn't count the odd registration here and there that the second layer of spam protection catches.

Keep in mind that any blocked registration goes into the ban list for a period of time.  That means that the spammers can't simply keep using the same information and pathways.  The ones who try that hit the ban screen before they hit the registration screen, and thus don't end up in the statistics.

It also doesn't count an approximately equal number of spammers blocked by the blog every day, and that's actually double, because I get them on both my Dark blog and my RR one.  The information from the blog spammers rarely correlates with the forum spammers, so it's probably unique attacks.  Sometimes, the information does match between the two blogs.

It all boils down to blocking about 20 attempts to spam my site per day, and I'm a backwater by any definition of the term.  I can't imagine how many attacks a site like Lit or Lush has to fend off.

All this to post messages that are more or less ignored by regular people when they do manage to appear, because they're so obviously spam ( usually in broken Google translate English ) and more often than not useless as link spam, because Google is forever filtering new iterations of that. 

It's plum crazy :P

• 5 months later...

Think I'm going to go through and update the spam filters on my contact forms and such to automatically block any email address that has more than 4 pips present.  Loads of names like joh.nn.y.sp.am.a.l.ot always come up in the logs, and they're always spammers.

• 5 months later...

Looks like the spammers got an early Christmas gift of new, unsullied IP addresses *sigh*

Fortunately, most of them aren't validating.  Again, probably because the email addresses are fake.  Set up to monitor their posting and block them from using PMs just in case. ( and a couple of other really suspicious registrations as well )

If you are a legitimate user and find your PM ability blocked, just make a post in the forum.  While it won't show up to anyone but me, it will go through, because I only set questionable members to moderator preview, rather than blocking their ability to post entirely.

I'll go back every few days and check those questionable registrations.  As soon as they add spam to their profile, try to post spam, or show up in the anti-spam database, they'll be gone and reported if there's any spam evidence.

• 2 weeks later...

LMAO...

Spammer gets untainted IP address.  Uses an email that can verify, and does so.  Posts spam while I'm asleep, making it possible for the post to survive -- however briefly.

Does it in the LST3K forum, where no posts appear until I approve them.

Spammer, heeere's yer sign!

• 3 months later...

51 more blocked spammers and I'll be at the halfway mark of the total for last year in only three months.

Considering how little I've been posting in recent months, thus reducing my visibility, that's something.  If I get a few stories posting and the forum/blog/twitter/facebook start getting updates, I can almost imagine what the spam explosion is going to look like. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It goes.  Work's trying to kill me, as usual, and it's usually too loud and chaotic to get anything that requires thought done at home.  I usually end up vegetating on YouTube videos, Netflix, or watching the Marvel movies for the umpteenth time.

Really need to set up my test board so I can prepare for 4.xx.  Odds are I'm going to have to do a lot of code modification to get my stuff working right in the new version.

How many doesn't matter as long as they get blocked.

And "Hiya" and how goes it?

• 2 weeks later...

Up to 275 blocked for the month.  And that's only one layer.  Add a few more for the second layer of protection, and at least a few trying to use an IP that was already blacklisted :P

I think I'm about 160 or so from breaking last year's total.

As I always say, there's some serious desperation in the spammer community if they're trying so hard to spam my site LOL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Give it time.  Nobody escapes the onslaught *laugh*

It's the annual January flood.  I guess all the spammers get new IPs for Christmas.  Up to more than 160 blocked before registration completed, plus a half dozen so new they got through and I nuked immediately afterward.

• 3 weeks later...

The tally so far?  Half a dozen caught by the forum built-in spam service.  Around 20 who made it through the entire process, but which I caught via spam links in the website of the bio before they could post.  One who actually managed to make a single post that was up for a few hours.  Who knows how many were blocked from completing their registration by my email domain filters.  There's no record of that.  And...

As of this morning, 400 blocked this month by the primary spam filtering plugin.

In my little cyber backwater. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Just looked for the first time in a long time.

In 2016, 5038 spam registrations were blocked by the primary spam blocker.  In 2017, they must have been slacking, because I only got 4995.  In 2018, they came back in force with 7366 blocked registrations.  Last year, it was 9349.

Already up to 11 for the year since midnight.