Sisters of the Mists

TALLMAN

Had a lot of junk going on, so I'm still working on the Ch. 20 edit.  I think I almost have the time-difference on Ch. 21 worked out in my head.  I'm having to change some transitions, because I need the Brandon scene to be late in the evening, and the time difference from the Danica scene it transitions from doesn't work.  It's earlier than a normal day's stopping point for Danica and Marlena, which makes it even earlier back home.  So I need to change that transition completely, and modify several other scenes as well.

• 1 month later...

Bloody hell...  Apologies for the lack of updates ( and lack of progress )

I have finished a couple of steps on the Ch. 20 edit, but it's been a nightmare.  First, after a couple of months of not getting enough hours to even survive on, I'm getting slammed with long hours at work.  Then there's dealing with my taxes.  Then there's a ton of stuff I need to do because my disabled son has turned 18.  That's been eating up my time more than anything.  Lawyers, court, social security.  The list goes on and on.

One good note is that his disability checks will put a stop to me struggling to make it through the end of the year once they start coming in.  It will cover a lot of stuff for him that I've been paying, allowing me to put aside rainy day money again.  Plus, he needs a new bed, and always needs new clothes, etc.  I should be getting enough to make those upgrades without wondering whether I'll be teetering on the edge of broke, as I have for the last several years.

I'm finally out of the most time-consuming stuff, with the final social security bit finished earlier today.  I may need a few days to wind down, but hopefully I can get back to work soon.  I knew this was going to be an adventure, but I had no idea just how much time it was going to eat up, or that my work hours would be limiting that time on top of it.

• 4 weeks later...

On as RR, and don't feel like switching, LOL.

Finally finished the first pass edit, and it's off to Roust for the final look-see.  Once he gets it back to me and we finalize it, it will be up to Lit.  The posting schedule there has been a little whack lately.  I'll probably put it in the queue the Sunday after it goes gold, minimizing the change it posts on Saturday or Sunday, which blow goats.

As soon as I know when it's going live ( or when it does ) at Lit, I'll try to coordinate the SOL release to hit at the same time.

Cranked out a couple of stories in this name, getting my groove back on.  Some silly little stroke pieces are a better first step than diving straight back into a long, complicated narrative when I haven't been able to write lately.  I'm going to pop open Ch. 21 and try to get those revisions going tomorrow so I can move forward again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got a little frustrated, trying to think of scenes to put in there to solve my time zone problem in Ch. 21.  Certain scenes need to happen at night, so I need to pass time.  I also need to figure out new ways to end other scenes, because they don't pass enough time.

In the end, I decided to put it away and work on a few other things.  RR shorts, and the follow-up to "Serpentine Destiny" for example.

Now, I decided that stepping back into the world from a different angle might be the thing to get me going.  So, I started working on the next story in the Darkni tales that are eventually going to lead to the hole in my timeline where my characters free Egoria.  This tale is called "Gates of Enchantment" and it shows the beginning of several important elements of Darkni's eventual power.

It's also absolutely rife with Easter Eggs.

Only 1600 words in, there are cameos from four characters from various Arts Ardane stories, and numerous locations.  It's primarily set in Destindale and the surrounding region.  There are even more Easter Eggs to come, as the storyline has ties to elements of "Kampar's Wand".

It's also going to provide some deeper history for the Protectorates of Armand.  There are ties to Darkni's lineage, and those are going to lead into the story that follows this one.

Despite all that, this story is also going to have plenty of hot sex, and a lot more action than the previous Darkniciad tale as well.

It's flowing well, and waking up my thought processes to Danica's world again, so that should bode quite well for getting back to work on SOTM.

• 2 years later...

Okay, finally had a spark when I opened up Ch. 21, so I just spent several hours reading back through SOTM ( skimming the sex scenes ) to get myself acquainted with where I was, and wrote the next scene.

It's a brief one, but it's forward progress.  :)

Caught a one word ( name ) error in a previous chapter.  I had originally given Turner a different name, and apparently didn't notice that I'd actually named him before coming up with the better ( and more appropriate ) name for him.  I'm just going to leave it.  It's a single mention a couple of chapters before the character even becomes truly relevant, and I hate to put in an edit everywhere for something so tiny.  Ditto for naming the prostitute that broke in Matthias in a chapter of SOTM, even though I didn't recall doing so.  It contradicts "Breakin' in the Boy", but I'm going to leave it as well.  If someone calls them out, I'll just have to accept getting caught in a mistake.  LOL

That thread I thought I left dangling wasn't dangling as much as I thought.  It is something that needs to be addressed soon in the storyline, but not something that has as much urgency as I believed it did.  I'd mused where that thread was going far in advance, and for some reason, I thought I was farther along in writing that plotline than I actually was.  Where it is right now is fine until it feels natural to pick it up again...  Which actually feels like this chapter, because Ebonar is going to want to get something done while Zoraster is following his obsession. ;)

Anyway, I'm back up to speed, and making at least a tiny bit of progress.  We'll see how long it lasts.  I'm in a later-than-usual surge of writing.  With the boy out of school, I didn't have as much time to sleep as I usually did during my end of the year time off.  Took me a lot longer to get caught up.  Unfortunately, I'm back to full time now at the first of the year, so I hope it doesn't cause me to fizzle out.

Cross your fingers.

• 3 months later...

Just so you know, I have been waiting seven years for the SOTM series to finish before I allow myself to start reading it. 

I read your Danica series back in 2014 and it is easily my favourite story. Such an epic story arc, rich characters and the scenes kept hitting the mark again and again!

I'm familiar with the origin of the Danica story and why it must be quite hard/special for you to pick up, just wanted to let you know that there is at least one person who still follows up on this thread! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to inform the writer that I and my friends are waiting for sisters of the mist for a long time. Its been many years since we are waiting for the conclusion of sisters of the mist.

The one thing I can promise is that I'm always working on it.  Even when there aren't words going on paper, I almost always have a few minutes each day where I'm working through how the various threads of the story are going to play out, and refining them.

Believe me, I hate that it's languishing unfinished just as much as ( if not more than ) everyone else.  I changed my whole posting philosophy because of that to never post a single word of any story that I haven't already penned "The End" for, with the exception of SOTM itself.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Many thanks :)

There's one new story in Danica's World that's making its way through the editing pipeline.  It's mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but "One Whore's Town" is a pseudo sequel to Lowborn following Betty, one of the prostitutes who set out to open their own brothel in "Stingy Pussy" at the end of the story.

9 chapters, over 90k words, so it will take a while to edit.  It is done, however.  Just needs the old rub n' buff.  A peripheral character from Lowborn gets a starring role, there's a whole load of new interesting characters, and just maybe some familiar faces ;) 

New Darkni solo story also moving along ( which is one of the stepping stones to eventually writing the two long stories that bridge the gap between the coming of age stories and the later ones after freeing Egoria in my Nobles by Deed series. )

As always, SOTM gets a little love here and there.  Some days may just be reading back through what I've written, tweaking, and musing when to bring threads in, but it does make slow forward progress in written words.

• 3 months later...
On 1/14/2023 at 11:17 AM, Darkniciad said:

Many thanks :)

There's one new story in Danica's World that's making its way through the editing pipeline.  It's mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but "One Whore's Town" is a pseudo sequel to Lowborn following Betty, one of the prostitutes who set out to open their own brothel in "Stingy Pussy" at the end of the story.

9 chapters, over 90k words, so it will take a while to edit.  It is done, however.  Just needs the old rub n' buff.  A peripheral character from Lowborn gets a starring role, there's a whole load of new interesting characters, and just maybe some familiar faces ;) 

New Darkni solo story also moving along ( which is one of the stepping stones to eventually writing the two long stories that bridge the gap between the coming of age stories and the later ones after freeing Egoria in my Nobles by Deed series. )

As always, SOTM gets a little love here and there.  Some days may just be reading back through what I've written, tweaking, and musing when to bring threads in, but it does make slow forward progress in written words.

Thanks for your effort all these years.