Jessica Jones

Darkniciad

6 Episodes into Jessica Jones, and I'm enjoying it.  I know next to nothing about Luke Cage or Jessica Jones, so I'm coming into this with a clean slate and no real expectations as to canon treatment of the characters.

To me, it felt as if it started out slow.  Granted, the end of the first episode was a big bang shock.  The first three episodes felt a little too much like they were exploiting the chance to put some sex into the MCU.  Considering what I write, it pushes up to the edge where it makes me feel as if it should have just gone all the way.  I'm sure your average viewer isn't going to get that feeling.

Now, starting at about episode 4, things really pick up.

I like all the characters -- especially Luke Cage.  Yes, I actually put him ahead of the title character LOL  Don't get me wrong, I like Jessica almost as much, but there's just something about the performance that pushes Cage over the top.

I do know enough to know that his catchphrase is "Sweet Christmas" and having him use it a couple of times so far tickles me.  It's akin to Beast saying "Oh my stars and garters" in X-Men 3.  That's probably the highlight of that movie for me.  It's a nod to the comic fans, and it's something I can appreciate even when it's not material I'm familiar with.

Jessica is becoming far more three dimensional to me now -- which is probably what's making me enjoy the episodes after three more.

Her friend the talk show host caught me right from the beginning.  I like the cop.  I like her junkie neighbor.  I even like the helpless nerd who lives upstairs with his domineering fraternal twin sister.

The sister, not so much LOL

Hope is the driving force of the plot as much as anything, and they're painting her with a strength that's keeping me interested.  The twists and turns with her have been really good.

Not sure where the love triangle with the doctor, lawyer, and her personal secretary are eventually going to lead.  At the moment, it feels like it's a tacked on reason to have a lesbian side-plot in there.  We'll see what happens with that in time, but I'm not really invested in that angle just yet.

Keeping my eyes open for Night Nurse as well.

As much as Luke Cage is in this, I have the distinct feeling he's not going to get his own series, and I'm fine with that.  The dynamic between him and Jessica is great.  Let them be a duo from the get-go, and move on to the other Defenders.  I could get on board with a Luke Cage series that has Jessica in it as much as Luke is in her show, though.

The rumor is a stand-alone Punisher may sneak in there.  We'll see what I think of him once Daredevil season 2 hits.

And, of course, there's Killgrave.  Sick mother fucker.  The end of episode six is a serious creeper that gives you shivers thing.

I'll probably finish it before the weekend is over.  If I didn't need to crash for work tomorrow, I'd probably finish it in one sitting.

It's a worthy addition to the MCU, for certain.

I really enjoyed the twists and turns of this.  It probably helps in this case that I know jack about the characters from the comic storylines, because I didn't see a lot of things coming that others who do know the characters were expecting.

And in the end, they didn't oversaturate Luke Cage, so there's a nice big opening for a series, with a built-in fanbase due to the exposure.  People are going to be extra excited when news starts trickling out about it.

Because I watched it all within a couple of days, I'm not going to say much more than that.  I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't binge watch the way I do.

Kind of sad about one element of the ending, in a way.  But, it's also Marvel.  Nothing is necessarily final when it comes to the Marvel Universe ;)